Well, I have officially arrived in Buenos Aires safe and sound. Thankfully, I don't have any crazy mishaps from this trip - the worst was a two hour delay leaving Miami, but I'll take it over everything else!
My hostel so far seems pretty nice - there's a lot of people in here! I haven't seen my room yet, though, which will be the final determining factor.
The weather is also FANTASTIC! It's a little rainy today, but it's like 77 degrees!!! SO much better than Ohio winter weather.
My Spanish is a little bit rustier than I had hoped. I had to really think about what I was saying while I was talking to the cab driver. My accent was horrible and I sounded like a total American trying to speak Castellano. I'm sure it'll get better quickly, especially since that's all I'll use while I'm here by myself.
I have a week before I start any Fulbright stuff, so I'll mostly be wandering around, seeing the sights that I couldn't see the last time I was here. Apparently lots of places are closed today through Tuesday because of Carnaval. My taxi driver said everyone leaves Buenos Aires to visit family since it's a national holiday and no one has to work! (I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing - but I have the city pretty much to myself!)
There are already a few people from my Fulbright cohort here, so I'll definitely be trying to meet up with them. We start our orientation on the 13th and leave for our cities on the 16th.
It seems like this year is a pretty big election year. There are campaign posters all over the place, so that will be something fun and interesting to keep an eye on while I'm here.
Right now I'm just wiped out from traveling so long. Hopefully in the next few days, I'll have lots more to share!
No comments:
Post a Comment