Thursday, April 14, 2011

A note on traveling alone and so-called "culture shock"

Most of the time I really enjoy traveling alone - I actually prefer it.  It gives me the freedom to wander as I like, keep my own schedule, and sleep when I want.  It becomes difficult when I have to integrate myself into a new home - somewhere longer than a week or two.  I typically prefer to live alone, but at the same time I know it's much more beneficial - both for the language and for the companionship, whether I embrace it or not.

Until this past week, I hadn't bonded much with my housemates - all of whom are French.  They have all been here for several months and have their own network.  For a while I felt like I was intruding or that maybe I should make my own friends, but I wasn't aware of what I had right under my nose!  We've started operating like a little family unit - taking turns cooking dinner for each other, running errands together, etc.

I've also started learning French.  I practice my pronunciation with them, and I can now successfully count to ten!

Keeping my mind busy is the key to not going crazy here.  I find it hard, sometimes, though without a rigid schedule to focus my energy into one task.  Usually this ends in reading or watching movies all day.  I try to set one goal to accomplish each day, and that has been helping.  Though it hasn't been getting me out of bed any earlier...

This lack of schedule is always my "culture shock" in Latin America.  People seem to function without any sort of schedule.  Sure, they go to work, make doctor's appointments, take classes, but it seems to me like more like a to-do list than a daily routine.  What is the daily routine, however, is taking your time, always returning home during the siesta hours, and spending lots of time chatting with each other.

For example, my class schedule at the Institute is still changing, even after a month of attending classes.  Some professors still want to rearrange this hour or that period.  It becomes quite frustrating to this American who likes to plan in advance.  What's worse, is I find myself scrambling to prepare for my classes the day-of because of the lack of communication.  I have certainly made lots of progress, though, making sure I ask the teachers in advance what they will be doing in my classes, but remembering to stay flexible as everything is subject to change.

It's not that I dislike this culture, in fact I find it much more personable and friendly.  It is just a big adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment