I’ve certainly hit the ground running since returning from the U.S. and spending Easter in Buenos Aires (pictures soon!).
Though I was incredibly behind in preparing for class, it was probably the best week I’ve had at the Profesorado. I reviewed family vocabulary and the present perfect verb tense with the first years; discussed a short story set in the Roaring Twenties with the second years; had an incredible discussion on the emancipation of Africa with the third years; and introduced the methods of debate to the fourth years. In Tourism we talked about typical “characters” that work in the office. Sometimes it is a lot of work to tailor each lesson to each class, but the results are undeniable. I find that I truly enjoy what I’m doing. Hopefully this coming week I will set up our extracurricular chats on current global events.
The weather in Salta has finally turned cold. The past two days have been pretty cloudy and in the 40’s. Thankfully I am much more prepared than I was in Cordoba. My room is very well insulated, so I haven’t been cold at night. The days when the sun comes out, though, it will get into the 60’s - but as soon as the sun goes away, the dry cold sets in immediately.
As things really begin to settle with my classes, I am starting to find other activities to fill my day (the Profesorado only gives classes from 6:30pm - 11:30pm). I will be helping my “advisor” at her family’s English institute and I’m going with one of my students to the private English lessons that she gives. My role at the private lessons is similar to that at the Profesorado - to speak native English with the students and share my point of view on American culture. Hopefully, too, I’ll be starting some dance classes (as soon as I find a studio that’s open during the day)!
Finally, it’s coming to that time of the year to reapply to graduate programs. Although I have deferred admission to the University of Pittsburgh’s Master’s program in International Development, I’ve been considering more and more entering straight into a Ph.D. program. This decision is really difficult because Pitt keeps making me better and better offers financially, and it’s really hard to turn down. But then I think, if Pitt wants me this badly, shouldn’t I be able to get in somewhere “better”? The biggest thing is I’m super intimidated at the thought of applying to Ivy League Ph.D. programs, but I suppose it’s worth a shot.
--
No comments:
Post a Comment